You may have already seen Shinola’s beautifully crafted watches for men and women at By George, but here are five things you may not know about this growing company.
1. There’s more to Shinola than just watches—in addition to Swiss-quality watches, they also manufacture high-end bikes and leather goods.
2. Made in Detroit, USA! While watches have not been a thriving American industry for decades, setting up shop in Detroit was a no brainer for Shinola given the city’s long history in manufacturing as well as its newfound entrepreneurial energy and spirit.
3. Not only are their goods assembled in Detroit, it is also their intent to source as much of the materials, labor and production as possible in the United States. While some watch parts are produced in Switzerland by movement company Ronda, the final pieces are assembled in their facility. In fact, the factory is located in the Argonaut Building, the former site of the General Motors research labs.
4. Speaking of high-quality materials…All of Shinola’s leather goods are made from leather produced by Horween–one of the the oldest tanneries in the country that still processes hides from their raw, cured state to finished leather.
5. Shinola officially began operations in 2011. Launching in 2013 with its 1,500-piece limited edition Runwell watch, this year the company expects to produce 45,000 watches and 2,000 bikes with big plans for growth.
From November 14th through the 17th we will offer a wide selection of all these amazing American-made Shinola items. Come by Men By George to shop and enter to win a watch and other great giveaways!
November 14-15 at Flagship
While Formula 1 fans descend on Austin this weekend, head over to By George to escape the crowds—have a drink while shopping and enter to win great giveaways for him and her!
Throughout this busy weekend, we’re excited to be featuring two trunk shows at our flagship location: The Woods fine jewelry and Shinola American-made watches and leather goods.
With a unique aesthetic and influences ranging from art, fashion, music, music, architecture, nature and spirituality, The Woods was created by sisters Shawn Hecox and Samantha Hitchcock in 2005. We chatted with Shawn about some spots to hit up while she’s in Austin, what she’d be doing if she wasn’t designing and her favorite pieces in the collection right now.
By George: What drew you to Austin?
Shawn Hecox: My Dad has lived in Austin since I was young. We love to visit to shop, eat, hear music, etc.
BG: If you weren’t designing jewelry, what would you be doing?
SH: Staying at home, cooking, gardening, being a mom and traveling!
BG: What are some of your design inspirations?
SH: Our clients inspire us, we love seeing how everyone’s style changes and evolves. We are inspired by finding materials and combinations that are unexpected. Of course, travel is always an inspiration.
BG: What is your favorite piece in the collection right now?
SH: All diamond chain with eagle or antler
A few of Shawn’s local Austin favorites:
Drink: Easy Tiger
Eat: Justine’s, Taco Deli, Maria’s Taco Xpress, Whole Foods
Shop: By George, Feathers, JM Dry Goods
Relax: My dad’s backyard or on Town Lake
Join us at the Flagship from 12-6 pm on Thursday, Nov. 14th and Friday, Nov. 15th to get styled by designer Shawn Hecox and shop new styles including hand carved pieces, statement earrings and more. We hope to see you here!